Oregon Contractors License - CCB Pre-License Courses

As the leading CCB approved contractor training provider, we prepare you to get your Oregon contractor license online by successfully completing the mandatory 16 hour pre-license course and state exam.


16 Hr Pre-License Course NASCLA Edition

clock hour icon 16h course

Get your Oregon contractor license training through our in depth, easy to follow, online program for only $85.00! Don't be fooled by our low price, we provide an Oregon State approved training program that is the most in depth and user friendly in the State.

Your course will include the following:

  • The current edition of the state mandated NASCLA textbook
  • Free shipping
  • 14 chapter tests, 2 mid-point exams, 1 final test and 1 bonus test
  • 14 chapter summaries
  • Test are interactive, timed and provide instant feedback
  • Excellent support from the instructor
4.5 3581 Reviews

What you need to know to get an Oregon Contractors License

  • Minimum 18 years of age to apply 
  • Complete 16 hours of the required training through a state-approved pre-license educator.
  • After you complete all the mandatory training, the education provider will report your completion directly to PSI Services (the Agency that administers the state exam) stating that you are eligible for the contractor exam. If you have questions about this process, give us a call or click on the Chat button to speak with a live rep on our website.
  • Once PSI has confirmed your eligibility, they will allow you to schedule and take the official PSI Oregon Contractor exam to qualify for a CCB license. It is important to check back frequently with your account on PSI to see they have confirmed your training was received. The PSI candidate bulletin gives information about test locations and procedures. You can click here to register an account and schedule a test date. 
    *Take Note: An appointed Responsible Managing Individual may take the training and sit for the exam as well (RMI is the person who owns the business or manages its construction activities).
  • Immediately after taking the test with PSI, you will receive the results. If you passed:
    • You'll need to file your corporation, LLC, and/or your assumed business name with the Oregon Secretary of State, and
    • Obtain bonding and liability insurance (see the question below 'What is a surety bond?')
  • With those documents in hand, fill out the CCB license application entirely - submit along with your test score, original bond & insurance certificates - and $325 required application fee.
    *Take Note: If the exam was passed, the application must be submitted within 24 months or training will lapse and you will be required to retake the course again & then the exam.

We provide more details about these steps within our training and you can also call to speak with our knowledgeable customer service team (Click on the green Chat button below to ask a question to a live representative). You can also email the CCB directly at

The NASCLA Contractors Guide to Business, Law, and Project Management is used to prepare the questions for this test. This test is open book and you will be allowed to use your personal copy of the current OR Nascla book. 
CCB-approved chapter tabs are permitted to be used within your personal textbook but must be pre-printed and in place. Loose paper or notes are NOT permitted during the exam. 
It depends on who you ask. We are confident in the training and service we deliver. Our many reviews express why our course is the best training to help you pass the state exam.
The state exam itself consists of 80 multiple choice questions, and you are given 3 hours to complete. You need to get at least 56 answers correctly to get 70%, the minimum score to pass the test. 
A surety bond is a promise by a bonding company to pay all or a portion of a CCB final order if a contractor fails to pay the order in order to protect consumers. A property owner can file a CCB complaint against a contractor for breach of contract or improper work. More details are found here.
You can obtain a surety bond and liability insurance through your local insurance agency or a surety bond company. In most cases, the surety bond companies make it easy to apply for your surety bond online.
If you're an individual who has passed the NASCLA Accredited Examination for Commercial General Building Contractors, you don't have to take the 16-hour pre-license training required by the CCB.
However, you will need to pass the OR exam that covers business and law practices. That is a rule for anyone who wants to become a licensed contractor in OR.
In the state of Oregon, anyone performing construction work for compensation is required to have a contractor license. Common construction trades include:
  • Roofing
  • Siding
  • Painting
  • Carpentry
  • Floor covering
  • Concrete
  • Heating
  • Air conditioning
  • Electrical
  • Plumbing
  • Tree servicing
  • Repair of attached appliances (ORS 701.005 (5)(a))
  • Manufactured dwelling installation
  • Land development
  • Home inspection
  • Most construction and repair services
Projects that do not require a license from the CCB include gutter cleaning, power & pressure washing, debris clean up (yard or construction site), and handyman work on projects with a contract value of $1,000 or less.
There is no 'handyman license' in Oregon. However, there are limitations on the jobs you can perform without a contractor's license. To qualify for the exemption, a handyman contractor can only perform work that is casual, minor, or inconsequential. This means that the work cannot:
  • Be structural in nature
  • Affect health or safety (this includes work on target housing built before 1978 or child-occupied facilities that may contain lead-based paint) 
  • Include work performed as a subcontractor to a licensed contractor
  • Or work on projects with a contract value of more than $1,000.
Residential Endorsement types:
  • Residential general contractor (RGC): These contractors may supervise, arrange for, or perform (partly or completely) an unlimited number of unrelated building trades involving any residential or small commercial structure or project.
  • Residential specialty contractor (RSC): These contractors perform work involving one or two unrelated building trades for residential or small commercial projects.
  • Residential limited contractor (RLC):  This is for part-time contractors who, for example, build for a hobby, for retirees, or for maintenance type of services
  • Residential developer (RD): This classification is for residential developers who arrange for the construction of structures, or development of the property, that they intend to sell.
  • Home services contractor (HSC): Contractors with an HSC endorsement may operate a business offering service, repair, or replacement under a home services (warranty) agreement.
  • Residential locksmith services contractor (RLSC): Contractors with an RLSC endorsement may operate a business offering locksmith services.
  • Home inspector services contractor (HISC): Contractors with a HISC endorsement may operate a business offering home inspection services.
  • Home energy performance score contractor (HEPSC): Contractors with a HEPSC endorsement may operate a business issuing home energy performance scores.
  • Residential restoration contractor (RRC): Contractors with an RRC endorsement may operate a business offering restoration services for residential and small commercial structures.
Commercial Endorsement types:
  • Commercial General Contractor Level 1 & 2 (CGC1, CGC2): These contractors may supervise, arrange for, or perform (partly or completely) an unlimited number of unrelated building trades involving any small or large commercial structure or project. A Level 1 contractor must have 8 years of construction experience, while a Level 2 contractor must have 4.
  • Commercial Specialty Contractor Level 1 & 2 (CSC1, CSC2): These contractors perform work involving one or two unrelated building trades for small or large commercial projects. A Level 1 contractor must have 8 years of construction experience, while a Level 2 contractor must have 4.
  • Commercial Developer: This classification is for commercial developers who arrange for the construction of structures, or the development of the property, that they intend to sell.
All businesses in Oregon must be registered, including those businesses operating as DBAs, assumed names, sole proprietorship, LLC, corporation, or limited partnership. The form can be filed on the Oregon Secretary of State website or mailed to the State's Corporation Division. The filing fee is $50.

Pre-License Training State Approval Letters

Kate Brown, Governor


Construction Contractors Board

Mailing Address

PO Box 14140

Salem, OR 97309-5052

Phone # 503-378-4621

Fax # 503-373-2007


June 22, 2016


Aypo, LLC

dba AAA CCB Contractor Certification

Tony Bowers

531 NE F Street Grants Pass OR 97526


RE: Pre-Licensure Training Authorization Agreement No. 915-314


We look forward to working with you.


Enclosed is your signed copy of the agreement, which begins on July 1, 2016.


Please note that you must keep your business names actively registered with the Secretary of State, Corporation Division, and workers' compensation insurance in effect (if applicable) during the entire agreement time period.


Note: Your course approval process for pre-licensure training educational materials is separate from the agreement renewal process.


If you have any questions about the agreement, please feel free to contact me at (503) 934-2185.


Thank you. We look forward to helping make your business a success.




Catherine Doxon


Catherine Dixon

Procurement Specialist Administrative Services

(503) 934-2185


L-agreement signed.docx